Tuesday, June 24, 2008

In Combat with Filezilla!!!

During the process of uploading my website, (and to be honest, the complete creative process), I asked myself numerous times why I chose the computer as a creative medium. It freezes, it malfunctions and bluntly refuses to negotiate if you accidently press the wrong combination of keys!
It is often said that it is the user, not the tool, who is at fault when things go pear-shaped. I whole-heartedly agree, knowing full well how computer illerate I am. So perhaps I should not direct my anger at the tool in question, but rather at those who I have turned to in utter desperation, who have then assumed I do understand html lingo, proceed to speak in this language in fast mode and I'm still at a loss!! I reflect back on the night I uploaded my website, and I'm sure I conveyed to those on customer help how little experience I had in dealing with website publishing and FTP*... and then I remembered...these poor people have been staring at computers all day long too!
The blame comes full circle back to the computer. They sap our energy and drain away the subtle techniques required for human interaction. This is why the escape into the imagination is such a vital part of being human. It can be used as a coping mechanism.
So, coming back to the computer yet again...it's not all bad...in fact, it is the perfect place to share our escapes with each other and find mutual consolation in what makes us tick.
* Just a note, the FTP program Filezilla worked like a charm...it was the dumbo user who put in the incorrect file destination :)

No comments: